Monday, August 25, 2008

Chris Goes to the Bahamas

After getting a few questions about the Bahamas thing, it's time to finally tell the story behind the trip and some details about the trip itself. I will also put some pictures on this, so check back on this particular post from time to time as I'll add them when I get them uploaded!

Brett is a good friend of mine from back in 1995 where we served together in the military. He asked Rita if I could take this trip with him to the Bahamas since he was not yet married. It was pretty stunning, to say the least, because when he asked Rita about it, I did not know that he was going prior to that!

Not wanting to let my good buddy down, I grudgingly packed for the trip. After all, that's what good friends are all about right?

Well, we had a tolerably good time dealing with the white sand beaches, the warm water, the biggest resort in the Bahamas (literally), water slides, snorkeling, and sailing an America's Cup sailboat as crewmembers! We probably spent 3 days out of 4 covered with either sand, water, and sunscreen pausing long enough to eat and then jump back in the water. We can safely say that you can indeed go in the water directly after eating. There was excellent food provided for almost all meals and money for the times not covered. We even hit the beach and went swimming at around midnight on our last night there...it was a fairly decent trip with minimal injuries.

Brett did hit his head diving on a shipwreck using fins and a snorkel. He was about 25 feet down, going through the wreck (for a photo) and hit his head when the current kicked. He ended up getting some antibiotics put on the scrape and might need to get some follow on stuff here in the States. All in all, for all the activities that we did, that's not too shabby. I've seen worse injuries when Brett and I played some basketball with the mechanics in the Air Guard unit we were in together!

Besides the bump to the head, we had a great time! We were able to do everything we had wanted to do out there and made some plans for 'the next trip.' One essential detail: women. It has been decided that we have done these trips too many times without (two weeks in Panama with the military...not really a vacation per se, and a short trip to Yellowstone last winter to snowmobile). We also thought about getting dive certified before going out to the Carribean again.

Such a great trip and a great time all kidding aside! I'll put up some pictures as soon as I can get them from Brett.

2 comments:

The Fear Fam said...

"LUCKY!"

Gramma Betsy said...

Welcome back. Glad you had fun. Rita and the kids seemed to survive alright.
Can't wait to see all of you tomorrow.
Mom